Monday, November 24, 2008

Pumping Her Gas

Chivalry is like a cancer patient fighting for life. It's not quite dead yet, but still doesn't look very good for us men. I try to do nice things for my wife, but it's easy to fall into a routine, and forget to show my appreciation. When they cross my mind, I try to open doors, buy her flowers, and other stereotypical random acts of kindness; but sometimes you just need a little reminder.

The Gas Station
I tend to do the majority of the driving because I feel in control, and my wife appreciates not having to drive. She happened to be driving, the other day, when we stopped for gas. My wife is more than capable of pumping her own gas, so I nonchalantly sat in the passenger seat, while she got out to get gas. Another car, containing a couple of similar age, pulled up to the opposite pump. The women in that car was also driving. The man got out, and proceeded to pump the gas for her. As I sat there watching them, I felt like jerk. My wife was completely oblivious to what was going on, but I knew, and felt awful. I decided from that point on I would make an effort to pump her gas.

The Little Things
It's the little things in life that make others happy. I am not saying that you have to pump your wife's gas. I am merely using this example to show that people appreciate simple acts of kindness, and they are contagious. If you truly care for someone let them know. Maybe if we all start doing our part, we can save chivalry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting anecdote. Such small gestures can make a big impact, especially when they're unexpected and nothing is expected in return.

Dan Malone said...

And it really doesn't take much to do the little things that might make someone day brighter.

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory