Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dumpster Diving for Moving Boxes


I helped a friend move the other day. Nobody likes moving, but it's just a part of life. People especially dislike moving because cardboard boxes are quite expensive to buy. To solve this problem I drive around the back of smaller sized stores, and collect the cardboard boxes out of dumpsters. Most places separate out their cardboard for recycling purposes. The boxes are usually broken down to fit in a dumpster, but are perfectly good once taped back together. Avoid Larger stores that might have trash compactors and use compressed card board bails. It might also be a good idea to avoid restaurants, or produce markets, unless you want your stuff smelling like food. I don't know the legal ramifications, but figure it is helping the world recycle, so it can be all bad.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I used to do that, but it got difficult after awhile. Everyone is looking for boxes, and a lot of times the boxes were covered in all sorts of food or worse.

I wound up buying boxes from UsedCardboardBoxes.com to be eco-friendly and save money. The moving kit had everything I needed in it, and I didn't have to drive all around town looking for boxes that had probably been picked over already.

Free is always a great thing, but if you still find yourself short, do what I did and check out UsedCardboardBoxes.com.

Dan Malone said...

Thanks for the link, I will check them out.

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory