With the Economy down, making a big purchase is probably the last thing on anyone's mind. As mentioned in Go Shopping Now, If You Can, it is a great time to buy a car, home, or even a wedding ring. Retail is desperately slashing prices, to keep stores in business. You can probably haggle for the deal of the decade. So, if you believe that love can conquer the worst of times, then as a happily married man, I have some advice for you:
- Get familiar with the 4 C's: Cut, Clarity, Color, Carat
- Try to get hints from that special someone what cut or shape diamond they like.
- The clarity is a big price factor, but not a noticeable characteristic. Consider, less then flawless.
- Color is a slightly noticeable difference, that is again associated with price.
- Carat is the most noticeable difference.
- Buy certified diamonds, and/or get it appraised
- Buy a loose diamond and mount it on a temporary band, allowing her to pick out exactly what she wants.
- Buy only what you can afford, financial troubles early in a marriage will out way the nice ring.
- Haggle, Haggle, Haggle!!
- Keep it somewhere safe until it's time (spare tire well of your car, fishing tackle box, or tool chest)
- Don't tell anyone, word of engagement travels at fighter jet speeds.
- Have a shopping alibi, (lunch break, poker night, or late from work)
- Try to get a ring from a place with free cleanings, and a warranty (Shane Co. is a good)