Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Never Buy less than $500 of Stock at a time.



A while back I opened a Roth Ira Account, as should any financially responsible 29 year old. My contributions are automatically deducted from each paycheck, and deposited into my Tradeking account. I like Tradeking because they only charge $4.99 per trade, and make trading easy for a novice like me. I plan to max out my Roth IRA contributions once I get out of credit card debt, but for now I contribute $200.00 a month.

Since I am fairly new to investing, I would just invest the money as soon as it cleared the bank. I thought that the sooner it was invested the faster it would make money. The problem is that I would pay $4.99 each time I bought more stock. This greatly affected my earnings for each small purchase, especially since I'm paid bi-weekly. Here's why:



Scenario 1.)
A modest $100 is deposited into my Tradeking account bi-weekly. I use to invest it as soon as it cleared. After doing this for six months, I was paying $59.40 in commission fees for a mere $1200.00 invested. Those commission fees eat up 4.95% of earnings.

Scenario 2.)
Now the same $100 is deposited into my Tradeking account bi-weekly, but instead I wait to six months to invest. After six months I make a single trade. For that one trade I only pay $4.95 in commission. I still have $1200.00 invested, but the commission only consumes 0.4125% of my total investment. That is only a fraction of a percent and almost unnoticeable.

Buying less than $500.00 of stock it isn't worth the commission to me. Below is my breakdown:





















I believe spending 1% to invest $500 is an acceptable cost, but ideally you want to save up as much as possible and buy in bulk. How do you regularly invest your Roth IRA contributions?

No comments:

Living Well Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory